How Can We Help?
If your organization has access to a commercial Microsoft 365 subscription, you can edit files in the web portal using your Microsoft 365 apps. During the editing session, files are automatically saved, and all versions are tracked.
Your administrator must turn on this feature before it can be used.
Advanced functionality includes:
- Quickly view or edit files directly from the web portal, without needing to download files or use local applications.
- Access a wide range of formatting tools to manage fonts, images, charts, styles, and more.
- Edit and collaborate using the Track Changes and Commenting features.
- Track file changes and revisions automatically through the auto-save feature.
- Collaborate with co-authors in real time.
Supported File Formats
The following file formats can be edited using Microsoft 365 apps:
- Microsoft Word (.docx)
- Microsoft PowerPoint (.pptx)
- Microsoft Excel (.xlsx)
Notifications and File Locking
- In the Web Portal, a file that is being actively edited within a Microsoft 365 app will be marked with a Web Edit icon. Team Share subscribers will still be able to launch this file from the web portal.
- In the desktop client, a file that is being actively edited will be automatically protected by the File and Folder Locking feature and marked with a lock icon. Team Share subscribers will not be able to edit this file using applications on their local machines.
Launching a Microsoft 365 App
To view or edit files using Microsoft 365 apps:
- In the Files tab of the web portal, navigate to the file that you want to view.
- Right-click a supported file, point to Open in, and select the appropriate Microsoft 365 app (in this instance, we are selecting Word Online).The file automatically locks and will be marked with an Editing icon in the web portal.
- If you are not logged in to Microsoft 365, you will be prompted to sign in. Click the Sign in with a work or school account button to continue.After you are authenticated, the file opens in the Microsoft 365 app. Depending on administrative settings, you might only have the option to view files. Contact your administrator for more information.
- When working in your Microsoft 365 apps, you can access advanced functionality, including:
- Click the File tab to rename your file. If you are working in the Excel app, you will also have access to the Save As feature, which allows you to save to a different file. This new file will be saved to your root folder.
- Click the Home tab to manage your clipboard, change fonts, control paragraph settings, and apply styles as defined in your file. You can also access the Find and Replace feature if needed.
- Click the Insert tab to add page breaks, tables, pictures, links, and comments; you can also control headers, footers, and footnotes.
- Click the Layout tab to manage margins and page formatting options.
- Click the References tab to insert a Table of Contents or other reference tools.
- Click the Review tab to manage the Spell Check feature, add comments, and show editing activity.
- Click the View tab to set preferred viewing settings. For example, you can control the display of the navigation page, adjust zoom settings, and so forth.
- Click the Help tab to access the Microsoft Help file.
- Click the Comments button to expand or collapse the Comments panel.
- Click the Return to My Files link when you are finished. You can also close your browser tab to end the editing session. All changes will be automatically saved.
The Sign Out link currently signs you out of the web portal; it does not sign you out of Microsoft 365. This functionality will change in future releases.